Cameroon awaits the launch of Camtel Mobile service
Cameroon was for many years one of the few countries in Africa to have only two competing mobile operators. After some delays, Viettel Cameroon launched a third network and has since grown its subscriber base rapidly.
Camtel became the fourth mobile operator in early 2020 after obtaining three licenses, but it suspended the launch of services in early 2021. Despite this, by the end of the year, a launch under the Blue brand was imminent.
Operator investment programs over the next few years will significantly boost mobile broadband services in rural areas of the country, many of which are underserved by fixed-line infrastructure.
The ICT sector in Cameroon is progressing steadily, allowing the country to take better advantage of the digital economy. About 95% of all electronic transactions are carried out through m-money services operated by MTN Cameroon and Orange Cameroon. The government has also provided support by launching its “Cameroon Digital 2020” program, aimed at improving nationwide connectivity. A large number of small ICT projects are part of the overall programme. Improved undersea and land cable connectivity has dramatically increased international bandwidth, in turn leading to reductions in access prices for consumers.
Other projects such as Accelerating Cameroon’s Digital Transformation aim to develop the digital economy and accelerate the use of ICTs in areas such as government services, agriculture and trade.
- The new fiber link to Gabon is completed;
- MTN Cameroon applies for a 5G trial license;
- Camtel signs a national roaming agreement with MTN Cameroon;
- Cameroon accounts for 73% of the 1.1 billion electronic payment transactions among CEMAC member countries;
- Cameroon ends roaming charges with CEMAC countries;
- Camtel becomes the fourth MNO after obtaining a mobile concession, but delays the launch of the service;
- Orange Cameroon extends LTE-A services;
- The report update includes the regulator’s 2019 market report, telecom operator operating data through Q3 2021, updated Telecom Maturity Index charts, graphs and analysis, assessing the global impact of the pandemic on the telecommunications sector, recent market developments.
Obtain a full copy of this report
The report summaries of the developing telecommunications market are produced in partnership with BuddeComm, the world’s largest continuously updated online telecommunications research service.
The above article is a summary of the following BuddeComm report:
Report title: Cameroon – Telecoms, Mobile and Broadband – Statistics and Analysis
Editing: January 2022
Analyst: Henry Lancaster
Number of pages: 158
Companies featured in this report: MTN Cameroon, Orange Cameroon, Camtel, Cameroon Mobile Telecommunications (CMT), Pastel, CamNet, MTN Network Solutions, Matrix Telecoms, Ringo, Nexttel Cameroon (Viettel), YooMee
Single User PDF License Price: $890
For more information or to purchase a copy of the full report, please use the following link: https://www.budde.com.au/Research/Cameroon-Telecoms-Mobile-and-Broadband-Statistics-and-Analyses/ ?r=83/?r=83